Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Good Morning..

Daniel and I were walking to the town the other day when we passed by a house where an elderly couple and another middle-aged woman were having a conversation while puffing on their lawn. The elderly couple had greeted me a few times in the past, so I smiled at them as I was passing through. The old lady said "Good morning!" followed by the other two, and I said good morning back. Then she said "Good morning young man!!" to which Daniel replied by showing up his right hand (a'la Obama while addressing the people in a speech) while he was looking down...It was a hilarious sight if you were there to witness it, so everybody laughed and we continued our journey.

Then I looked at my watch. It was nearly 1 pm. "Morning???" I asked myself. Maybe they were mistaken and didn't realize that it was noon already.

Then we brushed shoulders with another lady. I smiled at her and she smiled back, greeting me "Good morning!" Now that couldn't have been a coincidence, right?

I wonder when do people here wish "Good afternoon" then. Our cut-off time in Malaysia is 12 noon, right? Simple. From 12 noon to about 7pm, we wish people "Good afternoon."Hubby said that they don't have good afternoons..They go straight from "Good morning" to "Good evening." People at his work place even called lunch as dinner! I don't know whether it is the practice of the people in this town only or these are common to all Britons...hehe....

By the way, most of the cartoon series here are translated from USA English to British English. I don't really understand this, because for me English is English...hehe... Hubby said Malaysians are thought British English but we talk USA English. That is why we simply don't realize the difference...hehe...

Entah laaaa....

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think calling lunch as dinner, and dinner as supper is quite common there.

and the only difference i can tell from american n british english is the accent and spelling for some words. hehe.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger hani said...

yup nina...
english is english...just the slang/accent is different..american ke british ke australian ker...
i just don't understand the need to translate from one nation's english to another...hehe..
tp british english is more like bahasa baku eh? following the exact sound of the spelling...hihi...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home